This School was established as the St. Ann’s Bay Junior Secondary in September 1971. When it started, there were fourteen teachers and an enrollment of seven hundred and eighty students from grades seven to nine. In the early years much emphasis was placed on Self-Help Projects.
It was through these projects that the school was able to construct a playing field, Netball court and to install a Public Address system. In 1975 the shift system was introduced at our school. By then the school population had grown and the school was updated and renamed the Marcus Garvey Secondary School. In 1981 a straight day system of classes was reintroduced at Marcus Garvey Secondary School.
The year 1987 saw another name change. Our school became a technical high school. Student enrollment jumped to 1500 and this resulted in the erection of new buildings which were ready by 1988. A new block consisting of eight classrooms was constructed by the Urban Development Corporation. This was completed in 1997. The addition of eight new classrooms still did not ease the overcrowding problems at our school. In January 1998 the student population stood at 1775. Because of this very large population, several classes were being held in the Auditorium. In September 1999, the shift system was re-introduced to accommodate the student population which had grown to approximately 2200. In September 2012, Marcus Garvey Technical High School saw another significant change. It now operates one shift, 8:00am- 3pm, with two (2) campuses. Mansfield campus in Ocho Rios for Grades 7-8 and the Main Campus, the original site, for Grades 9-11. Marcus Garvey Technical High School continues to improve its curriculum with subjects such as AutoCAD and Theatre Arts as well as other support programmes.